Sunday, April 23, 2006

Our First Year

Well, since my husband has been slacking a bit with the posts, I thought I would take over for a while. Unfortunately for me, however, I have some large shoes to fill. I definitely don't have the story telling ability that he does!

As you all know, Olivia and Eugene turned one year old about two weeks ago and I thought that this milestone deserved a little more attention on the blog (along with a few pictures since many of you have not seen them in a long time)! I'm still having a hard time believing that they are actually a year old. Time certainly flies by when you're having fun... or are too busy to notice that the days turn into months.

And now to sum up our first year with the twins... where to begin? I guess I can start off by saying that, without a doubt, this has been most amazing year of my life! I have never been pushed to, at least what felt like, my physical and mental limits (especially in those early months) but I've also never felt such love.

I never could've known, before Olivia and Eugene arrived, just how much I would love these two incredible, little individuals. As much as people try to tell you what it's like when you become a parent, you never truly understand it until you become one yourself.

Don't get me wrong, though, this first year hasn't been all roses and happy days. There have been plenty of tears and frustration. Tempers have been lost on occasion (not by me, of course) and wits have reached their ends.

I've also learned more about myself and my abilities in this year than I ever could've imagined. I've learned that:
  • 30 minutes of solid sleep can refill your "tanks" enough to make it thru at least several hours of diaper changes and feedings.
  • 4-5 hours of sleep actually feels like 8 hours used to feel prior to the twins arrival.
  • I can accomplish more in their 2 hour nap than I used to accomplish in an entire day.
  • Having two babies and two parents shows you the true meaning of team work.
  • A bouncy seat will get you thru just about anything - eating dinner, folding laundry, etc.
  • I could bounce a bouncy seat while doing just about anything - blow drying my hair, wrapping presents - you name it!
  • Having two babies actually feels like the work of three because even though your workload is doubled - you're tapping into the same supply of patience and energy. Just because you've run out of both on the first kid doesn't mean you get to refill for the second one (this last lesson actually comes from a fellow twin Daddy).

But on a serious note, the biggest thing I've learned is what a true blessing my twins are to me and to each other. I love that they have each other and I love watching them bond more and more everyday. I'm so proud to be their Mommy and can not imagine life without them!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Just out of curiosity, can you also pick up anything with your feet?

That was a big new skill that I gained with twins.

4:11 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Tracy said...

Never tried it but thanks for mentioning it - I'm sure it will come in handy! It's amazing the skills we all learn while multi-tasking!

10:12 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Gene said...

Sarah, you are crazy! You are like the fastest commenter in all the blogosphere. I'm going to start calling you Jesse James, the fastest gun in the West!

12:35 PM, April 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home